GIS Day is less than two months away! It’s time to get spatial and discover five reasons why you should get involved in a GIS Day event this year.
This year, GIS Day is officially on Wednesday November 14! Globally, it’s a time for professionals, students and educators to share the importance of geographic information system (GIS) and spatial learning with their colleagues, community and students.
Esri Canada resources can be used in your GIS Day event.
Why you should get involved in a GIS Day event this year?
- GIS is relevant and current
Bring technology used by GIS professionals into your classroom! GIS is used in various industries to make informed decisions about healthcare, public safety, the environment, emergency response and much more. It is also used to understand and inform the public about current events such as the impact of a natural disaster or a humanitarian crisis.
- GIS is a part of STEAM
- Maps are soooo cool
GIS is a tool that can be used to create maps that display a plethora of information. And who doesn’t like maps? They’re engaging, interactive, educational and beautiful to look at!
Your students can create cool maps using GIS! Highlight them in a GIS Day event at your school.
- GIS prepares students for the future
GIS fosters skills that students can use in higher education and the workplace. These include critical thinking, spatial literacy and decision-making.
- ArcGIS software is FREE in Canada for K-12 schools
Schools Mapping Software Bundle is available for free to all schools in Canada and K-12 support is available to teachers across the country. Request your account today and find resources to get started at k12.esri.ca/resourcefinder.
How can you get started?
- Plan your own GIS Day event – this could be a class activity or a school presentation, and it doesn’t have to be on November 14! Use Esri Canada resources (presentation or activity) for your event and contact us for support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Register your event and receive GIS Day giveaways, including stickers and Esri Map Books!
- Invite a GIS Ambassador/professional to your class to share their mapping experience and to showcase Canadian GIS applications.
Need inspiration? Here’s a GIS Day Story Map from 2017 showcasing what GIS day looked like for students across Canada in 2017.
We look forward to supporting your GIS day this year!
About the AuthorMore Content by Angela Alexander