Before the school year ends, consider what your plans are for GIS Day. It’s officially held on Wednesday November 14, 2018, but it can be celebrated any time in the new school year! Find out how Esri Canada can support your event, and take time to explore some of our ready to use education resources.
GIS Day is a time to celebrate the importance of maps and spatial thinking. Since GIS can be used in all industries, a variety of applications can be showcased on this special day! If you’re new to GIS or an avid user, it’s a great opportunity to promote students’ work, highlight interesting projects created using ArcGIS Online or invite a GIS professional to present to your students.
Students working on a GIS activity at Esri Canada’s Toronto office in 2016.
What type of event are you interested in hosting at your school? Here are some ideas:
- Invite a GIS Ambassador from your community to present about the importance of GIS
- Host a student activity at your school
- Invite a GIS professional or higher education student to discuss their GIS career and education
- Create a field study survey for students to use to collect data around their school
Esri Canada’s K-12 group has created resources that you can use for your event:
- Lessons and Tutorials for the Esri Canada Resource Finder
- You will require an ArcGIS Online login to use these resources
- GIS Day Gallery resources require no ArcGIS Online login to use
GIS Ambassador Paul Mosner talking about maps to local elementary school students. GIS Day, 2016.
Don’t forget to register your GIS Day event and to request a GIS Ambassador if you want support for a school visit. Email email@example.com to receive support in the form of resources or activity suggestions.
Before your event, get your ArcGIS Online accounts by requesting your student and teacher accounts at k12.esri.ca/#access.