Are you an educator looking for a way to introduce geographic information system (GIS) into your teaching? Would you like to invite a GIS user in industry or higher education that is keen on supporting the use of GIS in K-12 to share their insight about the importance of GIS and its applications in the real world? Find out the value of connecting with a GIS Ambassador in your community.
The GIS Ambassador Program is a great way to promote the importance of geographic information systems (GIS) to K-12 schools, educators and students. Students and teachers can work with a GIS user in industry or higher education in their community to learn more about the educational value of spatial technology.
- They provide insights to you and your students about the importance of GIS, its applications in the real world and career options that are available.
- They can assist you and your students with getting started with ArcGIS Online.
- They can help your students develop spatial and critical thinking skills through the use of spatial technology, while supporting curriculum outcomes.
- They can help you with a school project and even connect you with data for your community.
- They are volunteers that provide you and your students with a connection to your community.
In addition to the support you will receive from a GIS Ambassador, the Esri Canada K-12 group is available to assist you. We can also help administrate ArcGIS Online accounts, find relevant resources and provide technical support.
Find out how these GIS Ambassadors have supported K-12 teachers last year:
- Larisa Johnstone worked with a grade 9 geography class to create map journal story maps and continues to support teachers in the Windsor area.
- Zoe Goodyear presented at a local high school in St. John’s, NL last October, where she spoke about the importance of GIS and its use in the real world.
Zoe Goodyear is a GIS Ambassador who enjoys sharing her love of GIS with K-12 students.
Feel free to contact the K-12 group at Kemail@example.com to learn more about the program or to be connected with a GIS Ambassador today!
About the AuthorMore Content by Angela Alexander