Which Canadian maps were included in Visualoop’s 100 Outstanding Interactive Maps of 2015? How does GIS map the way to smarter communities? Find out these and more in this month’s SDI Interesting Reads.
Get inspiration for your projects from this compilation of interesting articles, blog posts, maps and other resources related to Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI).
Visualoop published a blog that shows the 100 interactive maps that stood out in 2015, among the hundreds featured every week on its Digital Cartography column. This was a year in which maps continued to be among the favourite–or at least, among the most used–visualizations leveraged by news portals and online publishers in general. Maps were a crucial part of the journalistic effort to clarify and inform what was really taking place in major events happening at a worldwide scale, from the conflicts in Syria and Iraq, the refugee crisis and terrorist attacks, to historical elections in several countries. Outstanding Canadian maps included those from Vancouver, University of Victoria and Native land claims. The list concludes with Part 2 of the blog post, which includes several maps that use Esri technology such as this Global Migration Data map.
- What would legislation for data infrastructure and open data look like?
- Mapping the way to Smarter Communities
- Canadian Space Agency releases the 2013 State of the Space Sector
- CSA delivers laser-based altimeter system for mapping of asteroids
- Airborne Lidar Bathymetry Surveys in Eastern and Central Canada
- OGC announces new Arctic Spatial Data Infrastructure Project
- Gigabit fibre could be the key enabler for the Internet of Things in Canada
- UN-GGIM Europe to determine global fundamental geospatial data themes
- State GIS group calls for national address database
- Environics Analytics acquires select business assets from Nielsen Canada
- Audi, BMW, Daimler close on Nokia's HERE mapping business
- MAP: See the world’s urban population grow over 2,000 years
- Map tiles and cached map services
About the AuthorMore Content by Gordon Plunkett