Are you an educator who’s keen to learn more about ArcGIS Online? Well, you can access a wealth of e-learning resources on the My Esri Training site for all levels of ArcGIS users. Find out how easy it is to discover training seminars, web courses, lessons and geoinquiries by signing into the resource site with your ArcGIS Online organizational credentials.
My Esri Training is a great site to find free e-learning resources to get you started with ArcGIS Online or to continue your GIS journey. If you’re currently an ArcGIS Online user in a subscription, sign into the training site to access training seminars, web courses, lessons, geoinquiries and much more!
Follow the steps below to access free GIS resources for ArcGIS Online:
- Go to www.esri.com/training/ and sign in with your ArcGIS Online organizational account.
If you do not have an account, request one at esri.ca/agolaccess.
- Scroll down to Catalog and click on Find Training.
- Filter by Product and select ArcGIS Online.
ArcGIS Online is not the only product you can search for. You can also explore ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap), ArcGIS Extensions and ArcGIS Apps resources available to you.
- Explore the results. Click on View if you would like to learn more about the resource. You will be taken to another page.
- From the resource details page, you can start the course or lesson and then view the video you have discovered.
The resources that are accessible will be either be free or unlocked.
Here are a few suggested resources from My Esri Training for K-12 teachers who are getting started with ArcGIS Online:
- Teaching with GIS: Introduction to Using GIS in the Classroom – 3 hour course
This course presents strategies for integrating GIS to support instruction, discussion and extended learning on any topic. Many practical ideas for GIS activities that enhance student learning and critical thinking skills are shared.
- Get Started with ArcGIS Online – 90 minute lesson
In these lessons, you'll get to spend some time on the island of Hawaii. You'll get acquainted with the island's volcanoes and geology through maps then make your own and work with its symbols and pop-ups. You'll transform a spreadsheet into spatial information and turn a web map into a professional-looking app.
- Using GIS to Solve Problems – 60 minute course
GIS is used to explore patterns, answer questions and solve problems about many different topics. In this course, you’ll learn a five-step process to solve a problem using GIS. In the exercises, you’ll apply each step while working with ArcGIS Online tools.
- Telling Stories with GIS Maps – 60 minute course
Story maps combine GIS maps with text, photos and sometimes video to present a topic as a web app. In this course, you’ll explore different kinds of story maps and learn to create your own.
GeoInquiries are short, inquiry-based activities for teaching map-based concepts.
- GeoInquiries for Advanced Environmental Science
- GeoInquiries for Advanced Human Geography
- GeoInquiries for Earth Science
If you have any questions about accessing the e-learning resources, email us at email@example.com.
Find Esri Canada resources at k12.esri.ca/resourcefinder.
About the AuthorMore Content by Angela Alexander