ArcGIS Online is updated on a regular basis. Because of this, it can be challenging to keep up with these changes and as a result, users might miss out on opportunities to leverage these new improvements. This blog post shares some ArcGIS Online resources to help maximize your use of ArcGIS Online.
In just a few years, ArcGIS Online has quickly changed the way we approach GIS. It has also given us new ways to share our workflows and data with the world. ArcGIS Online is constantly evolving and new improvements are added on a regular basis. Because of this, some users find it difficult to keep up with these changes and as a result, they miss out on opportunities to leverage these new improvements.
For this blog post, I thought I'd share some ArcGIS Online resources that you can use to help maximize your use of ArcGIS Online.
This wiki is maintained by Esri Solution engineers and the Esri community. It contains tools, hacks, tips and resources for ArcGIS organization administrators. The resources are divided into three categories: Tools, Best Practices and Resources. Here are a few examples of the types of things you can find on the site:
- Use a live Web map as your Home Page banner
- Change font color for labels on feature items
- Create a banner image that cycles
- Copy content between accounts in different organizations or Portals
- Update the URLs of Map Services and other layers in a Web Map
- View user stats
- Change default map extent
- Change URL key
- Create multi-layer basemaps
ArcGIS Online for Organizations is a subscription product that's managed through the consumption of service credits. The concept of service credits and how they get consumed can be confusing to many users. Luckily, Esri has made available a Service Credits Estimator. The Service Credit Estimator can help you with the following:
- Help estimate the number of credits your organization may need over a specified period of time
- Help estimate how many credits certain tasks will consume
- Educate the user on credit consumption
Esri often publishes blog postings containing valuable information concerning ArcGIS Online. Topics can include user showcases, sneak peeks at upcoming improvements, tips and tricks. Make sure to check back often or subscribe to the RSS feed to keep up to date on the latest news.
Do you know of any other resources? Share them by leaving a comment below.
About the AuthorMore Content by Jonathan Nowlan