ArcGIS Online can be an inquiry tool used to teach subjects beyond geography. With Remembrance Day around the corner, check out some history based ArcGIS Online maps and apps that will engage your students about this important day for Canadians.
In Canada, November 11th is Remembrance Day , a special day when our nation stops to remember the brave men and women who fought in wars to secure the freedom we enjoy. Commemorate this important day with your students by exploring ArcGIS Online resources that highlight some of the important events in Canada’s history.
- 100 Years of In Flanders Fields - Map Journal
May 2015 marked 100 years since the writing of In Flanders Fields by John McCrae. This Map Journal has been created by the City of Guelph as a spatial and multimedia journey commemorating the life of the poet, the writing of the poem and its legacy.
- A Tour of Normandy, France’s World War II Sites
Explore some of Normandy’s World War II sites in this story map.
- Canada's Participation During World War I: The Battlefields (Web Activity)
Understand Canada's involvement on the Western Front during World War I through primary source documents, such as photographs, paintings, videos and advertisements.
- The Role of Canadian Women during World War I (Web Activity)
Use this story map to explore the changing role of Canadian women, including their contribution on the home front and overseas during World War I through primary source documents, such as photographs, letters, paintings and advertisements.
- Canadian Cenotaphs
Explore some of Canada’s Cenotaphs in this story map.
If you’re interested in learning how to create your own Remembrance Day story maps, check out the resources below:
- Create a Map Tour in Builder Mode - In this tutorial, you’ll create an empty Map Tour that you can populate with your own content using a wizard.
- Creating a Map Journal Story Map - This tutorial shows you how to make your own Map Journal.
- Creating a Map Journal Story Map Video Tutorial - In this video tutorial, you will learn how to create a map journal story map.
Find more resources at esri.ca/lessonplanner.