We learn about how our utilities community can benefit from the ArcGIS Utility Network. Then we get some advice on strategies to upgrade ArcGIS Enterprise.
What's Making Us Mappy [0:51]
Our hosts share one cool thing that is catching their eye in the world of ArcGIS.
Maggie leads off with the latest addition to ArcGIS Instant Apps that will be a guaranteed hit! She highlights the new Manager (Beta) template. The app allows you to review and modify content from editable layers in one simple interface. This is especially useful when collecting data using crowdsourcing. This instant app is the next generation of the legacy Crowdsource Manager app.
- Documentation: ArcGIS Instant Apps - Manager (Beta)
- Blog: Introducing Manager (Beta)
- Blog: What's New in ArcGIS Instant Apps (October 2023)
Mark is batting clean-up by introducing you to an exciting new Esri website: Maps.com. This new platform showcases engaging and informative maps and apps that feature beautiful cartography. Browse through examples of stunning maps created by our user community to learn more about the world around you. And you can even submit your map to Maps.com!
- Press release: Esri Launches Maps.com, a Content Platform for Creators Demonstrating the Power of Maps
- Map: How Has Global Inflation Changed Since 1970?
- Map: What Does a Cross Section of an Active Volcano Reveal?
Inside the Arc [4:52]
Feature interview that takes our audience inside an Esri product or capability.
We have this saying in GIS that everything is somewhere. This certainly applies to the utilities industry. Location intelligence is essential for communications, water, electric, and gas utilities to manage complex networks that aim to maximize efficiency and minimize disruptions.
To help us understand how utilities of all sizes and types can fully leverage ArcGIS, we are joined by our friend and pal Jenny Fong. She is the Team Lead for Utility Technical Solutions at Esri Canada and is an invaluable resource for utility clients to understand the ArcGIS Utility Network.
Jenny covers a lot of ground in her ArcGIS Utility Network overview, including:
- What is ArcGIS Utility Network?
- Who would use ArcGIS Utility Network?
- What is required to run ArcGIS Utility Network?
- When should utility clients plan on moving to ArcGIS Utility Network?
- Why is it important for utility clients? Why should clients move to this?
- How can you get started, and where can you get more information?
Don’t forget! Jenny will be co-hosting a webinar on March 20th: Tread, Paddle, Freestyle – Moving your Water GIS Investment Forward
Guest: Jenny Fong, Team Lead for Utility Technical Solutions with Esri Canada (LinkedIn)
- Website: esri.ca/un
- Documentation: What is a utility network?
- Learn ArcGIS: Getting Started with ArcGIS Utility Network
- Learning Plan – Esri Academy: Utility Network Fundamentals
- Gallery: ArcGIS Solutions Templates for Utilities
- ArcGIS Solutions: Introduction to Electric Utility Network Foundation
- ArcGIS Solutions: Introduction to Electric Distribution Data Management
- Esri Community: ArcGIS Utility Network
- Blog: ArcGIS Utility Network: Out-of-the-Box
- Blog: Learning about the ArcGIS Utility Network
- Video: ArcGIS Solutions: Utility Network Foundations (from UC2023)
- Video: ArcGIS Solutions: Utility and Telecom Data Management (from UC2023)
Rotation of Esri Canada panelists share what's new in ArcGIS technology.
We welcome Justin Brassard to our GeoGeek family, as he will be taking the reins as our ArcGIS Enterprise subject matter expert.
Today, Justin addresses a common question in the ArcGIS Enterprise community – when do you upgrade? This can be a complex dilemma for many organizations, but Justin has some tips and thoughts on when to say when and make the plunge to a newer release, including:
- When is a good time to transition versions of ArcGIS Enterprise?
- What version should one go to when upgrading their deployment?
- Is there a specific version of ArcGIS Enterprise to upgrade to?
- Are you still able to transition to ArcGIS Enterprise 11.x if you are using ArcMap?
- Documentation: Upgrade ArcGIS Enterprise
- Documentation: Considerations for upgrades
- Documentation: What’s New in ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2
- Technical Support: Upgrade to ArcGIS Enterprise 11.x
- Video: Upgrading to ArcGIS Enterprise 11.x (from Esri Australia)
- Video: ArcGIS Enterprise: Considerations for Upgrading to 11.x
M versus M [27:30]
Our hosts quiz each other about all things ArcGIS and GIS.
Michelle Brake, the new host of the Geographical Thinking podcast, returns to her old stomping grounds to referee a game called Can You Date It? No love or romance in this quiz, as Michelle tests the hosts knowledge in Esri software releases. When was ArcGIS Online first released? ArcGIS Pro? ArcMap? Michelle has the dates, and the hosts have the guesses in this true Maggie versus Mark battle royale.
- Visit our website
- See our full interviews and GeoSnaps on the Esri Canada YouTube channel
- Stay up-to-speed on products and developments affecting you in our blog, Getting Technical
Have a podcast idea? E-mail us at email@example.com