The recently released Intelligence Configuration for ArcGIS Pro (ICAP) is a complete GIS desktop application with refined toolbars customized for intelligence analysts. It provides specialized tools and spatial analysis workflows for improved productivity in the HUMINT, SIGINT, GEOINT and All-Source Intelligence disciplines. ICAP 1.0 for ArcGIS Pro 2.2 is free and available now, so let’s review some of the new features and benefits of ICAP.
Leveraging more than 40 years of providing technology, innovative tools and support to intelligence organizations, Esri has now customized a product for the intelligence analysts (IAs). ICAP answers the unique challenges faced by today’s IAs who collect information from multiple sources, analyze patterns, predict potential outcomes, address current threats and prevent future threats.
ICAP provides a refined user experience for IAs and features a custom start page with access to specific project templates and a carousel of your recent projects. It displays focused ribbons that put the most used tools right where you want them. ICAP leverages the advanced analytic capabilities of ArcGIS Pro and adds new tasks for your repeatable workflows in each of the four intelligence disciplines: HUMINT, SIGINT, GEOINT and All-Source Intelligence. For example, ICAP introduces a new tool that grabs files commonly used by IAs (such as SHP, KML and spreadsheets) and adds them to the map with the correct symbology including the NATO STD 2525 military standard.
The ICAP start page with access to intelligence discipline specific project templates and a carousel of recent projects.
ICAP offers streamlined GIS workflows and specialized tools to help you examine spatial relationships, detect patterns and identify probabilities related to a target’s most likely course of action. For instance, smugglers could be tracked by using a spatial query to filter relevant data (observations, sensors and reports) and make it easier to identify possible routes and border crossing points. Being able to visualize the spatial relationships between people, groups and objects helps you determine their likely courses of action.
Here are the five main sets of functional capabilities in ICAP that you should explore:
- Foundation data management: Maintain accurate and authoritative foundation data for organizational use. ICAP will bring the most commonly used data management tools to the forefront, placing widely used tools in a custom data management ribbon.
- Data integration: Integrate data, sensors and activities from multiple sources in real time. Batch import point, line and area vector data received through observations, sensors and reports into one single geodatabase.
- Link charts: Visualize entities, manipulate link diagrams and view their relationships in a table or a map. In one single interface, you can see the complex relationships among individuals, groups of people and objects with minimal data and little training.
- Conditions and alerts: ICAP provides a way for you to designate conditions based on a set of queries and then be alerted when these conditions are met. For instance, when suspicious activity is detected within a certain distance of a reported unit location, an alert notifies you that further action is required.
- Activity-based intelligence: Analyze patterns, examine relationships, review probabilities and determine likely courses of action.
ICAP is now available and free, designed to work with ArcGIS Pro through a standard or advanced desktop license, in either connected and disconnected modes. It also integrates the existing military, crime analysis and some imagery tools within the same ArcGIS Pro desktop environment to make it easier to find and access the best geoprocessing workflows. . It will be maintained and released as a COTS product and can be further enhanced with the following ArcGIS Pro extensions: Image Analyst, Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst.
ICAP allows the intelligence analyst to do all their GIS tasks in one seamless desktop environment. With the analysis tab open on the ribbon, all of the most commonly used spatial, military and crime analyst tools are readily available. The image above (centre pane) shows how link charts simplify the process of mapping and editing features with complex relationships. Next, the military symbol editor in the left-hand pane allows the analyst to quickly digitize the battlefield ORBAT using standard military symbology.
Want to learn more?
- Visit the Esri Intelligence Workstation website.
- Join the ICAP technical session at our Ottawa User Conference on Wednesday, October 17. Meet Bryan Ladds, our technical solutions specialist, and learn how to install and use ICAP.
- Or join us on Thursday, November 22 for a webinar, New Intelligence Configuration for ArcGIS Pro (ICAP) Desktop, hosted by Bryan Ladds and me. This session will begin with a brief overview of ArcGIS Pro, followed by a review of the main capabilities of the new configuration and a demonstration of some workflows.
- If you’re ready to get started, download ICAP and explore the new capabilities for yourself. Note that this file will also install the Crime Analysis Tools, Military Tools and ICAP Add-ins for ArcGIS Pro.
ICAP provides a unique configuration of ArcGIS Pro for the specialized needs of the intelligence community. It is a focused application designed to help intelligence professionals analyze patterns and trends, conduct course of action analysis and disseminate essential intelligence products. ICAP will help you deliver mission-critical intelligence insights and information products faster and more efficiently. I’m sure you’ll find it useful as a key component of your intelligence cycle for years to come!
About the AuthorMore Content by Pierre Bilodeau